Before we get into this, we should give you some context. With ChatGPT being to catalyst to a bursting AI conversion that has been on the horizon for some time, we wanted to ensure we had a way to be transparent with our readers when we’ve used ChatGPT (or other AI tools) to create Reflect marketing resources, like blogs.
Which is where Rupert came in. And while we were at it… we thought why not use AI to help us create our AI profile.
Firstly, we wanted to get ChatGPT’s thoughts on how we should depict it on our website. It suggest these ideas to get us started:
1. Brain in a jar: You could create an illustration of a cartoonish brain in a jar, with wires or tubes coming out of the top. The jar could be placed on top of a robotic body or attached to it in some way.
2. Robot with a brain head: Alternatively, you could create an illustration of a humanoid robot with a transparent dome instead of a head, revealing a cartoonish brain inside. This design would emphasize the idea that I'm an AI assistant powered by complex algorithms and neural networks.
3. Robot holding a brain: Another idea could be to create an illustration of a robot holding a cartoonish brain, almost like it's presenting it to the viewer. This design would emphasize the idea of my role as a language model, generating and processing text with advanced algorithms and techniques.
OK. It’s clear ChatGPT really wants a brain to be included… But, what’s great is within seconds of sending the prompt we have a range of ideas (and reasoning) to get us started.
Now we have some ideas, it was time to brief an AI image generator tool to bring them to life. We already knew we wanted a pictorial representation for the AI as this would fit with the rest of our profile pages.
We started by directly using one of ChatGPT’s suggestions:
‘Photo realistic character of a brain in a jar, with wires or tubes coming out of the top. The jar placed on top of a robotic body’
Well, not sure what happened to the robotic body! What we learnt was we needed to give more context to the background
So it seemed to struggle placing a brain inside of a jar! The backgrounds are looking realistic but greater detail is needed to instruct how the character should be placed within the scene.
Ok let's move on from the jar of water prompts…
It’s important that our new AI team member should look friendly and welcoming, so let’s add to the prompt to give them some emotion…
At this point we’re feeling more on the right track!
What’s nice with the Shutterstock tool is once you find one iteration that is visually appealing, you can request variations based on this. Number three looked promising, so we asked for some variations…
We then explored adding some dramatic lighting effects…
To bring more focus and character to our AI team member, we added ‘portrait’ and ‘wearing glasses’ to the prompt.
At this stage we felt number 4 was giving Reflect vibes, the right mix of emotion and fun while still depicting the right robot / AI look.
Number 4 needed a name, so we asked ChatGPT for some initial ideas. We then invited the Reflect team to suggest names.
We decided AI wasn’t good for everything and opted for the most popular Reflect-generate name: Rupert.
With a new arm and freshly coloured pair of glasses, Rupert was ready for their first day at Reflect Digital. Raring to go, as our new AI Content Creator.
1. Give context to backgrounds
2. State how the person / character should be placed within the scene
3. Don’t forget to add emotion / expression
4. Explore the variations, it may lead to new prompt ideas
5. Giving direction to lighting and colour hues produces visually appealing results
6. Post editing will be required to fix imperfections
Have you been using AI as part of your marketing activity? We’d love to hear more about your experience!
Nick has a passion for all things design. Working with the rest of our design team, he is always striving to push a client’s brand to take them to the next level and produce exceptional design that works with user experience at the forefront.
The result? Artwork for print, web, branding, motion graphics and photo retouching that really delivers on our clients’ marketing objectives.More about Nick